Word Count: 2,500 words
Due Date : Monday 24 October, 1700 hrs
The aim of this assignment is for the student to demonstrate an understanding of quality and safety in healthcare, including organisational and nursing strategies for care delivery, and evaluation of standards of care.
Task Details and Criteria
All Australians have the right to receive safe, high quality health care, regardless of the setting
(ACSQHC, 2008). Information about quality of care within health care organisations is discussed under three (3) categories: Structure, Process and Outcome (Donabedian, 1988).
· Structure – the context in which health care is delivered, inclusive of its buildings, its staff, its financial structures, and all its varied equipment.
· Process – activities, procedures, processes that are actually conducted in giving and receiving care.
· Outcomes – the effects of the care on the health status of the patient or patient population.
Information gathered about the processes used to deliver care is identified as Process data. Information about the resultant outcomes is identified as Outcome data. A clear relationship is identified in literature between Process and Outcome (Donabedian, 1988).
For this Assignment, you are required to:
1. Identify and explain the aims and core business of health institutions from the perspective of both the organisation and the nursing sector within the organisation
2. Identify and explain Process data and Outcome data in the context of quality and safety in health care
3. Use one (1) example of a clinical care activity for which process and outcome data is collected to:
· Discuss the clinical care activity in relation to quality and safety,
· Critically analyse scholarly literature and relevant resources to discuss the process and outcome data collected about that activity,
· Discuss how these data are used in relation to quality and safety in health care institutions.
Refer to the marking criteria for specific details
To be presented in Essay format:
· Please refer to the Assignment Writing and Referencing Guidelines on the course site for information, on formatting, (including line spacing, font, page number and title page information) as well as referencing
· Ensure that you use scholarly literature[footnoteRef:1] (digitised readings, research articles, relevant Government reports and text books) that has been published within the last 7 years. [1: Scholarly or peer-reviewed journal articles are written by scholars or professionals who are experts in their fields, as opposed to literature such as magazine articles, which reflect the tastes of the general public and are often meant as entertainment.]
· Include an assignment cover sheet, and title page with your essay, but you do not need to include the marking guide.
· Check your work thoroughly
· Save a copy
· Submit your assignment for review in the Draft Turnitin point.
· Upload the completed essay to the appropriate Turnitin submission point via your course site.
· Check that your assignment has uploaded correctly.
Identify: Establish what something is.
Explain: make clear why something happens, or why something is the way it is. This will require critical reading of the literature and written analysis that demonstrates your understanding of key concepts/learning outcomes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6).
Reference for Structure Process Outcome:
Donabedian, A. (1988). The quality of care: How can it be assessed? JAMA, 260 (12): 1145–1150.
3980NRS ASSESSMENT ITEM 2: ESSAY – MARKING CRITERIA MARK
CRITERIA ONE: Context and Identified Data
· Clearly identifies the aims and core business of health care institutions
· Clearly defines and discusses Process Data particularly in relation to safety and quality in health care and nursing
· Cleary defines and discusses Outcome Data in relations to quality and safety in health care and nursing
· Uses scholarly literature and other appropriate resources to support the discussion.
CRITERIA TWO: Analysis and Application through use of example
· Specifically and succinctly identifies and discusses one example of an clinical care activity in relation to safety and quality, for which process data and outcome data can be identified (10)
· Clear critical analysis of scholarly literature to support the following: (20)
· Discussion of what process data may be collected and the rationale for collection of such data
· Discussion of what outcome data may be collected and the rationale for collection of such data
· Critically discusses how the both the process data and outcome data may be used to improve quality and safety for patients (10)
PRESENTATION and STRUCTURE
· Formatted and presented according to the Assignment Writing and Referencing Guidelines.
· An opening paragraph that contextualises the written paper and clearly identifies its aim
· Logically developed argument throughout
· Has a concluding paragraph that summarises the overall argument in the assignment without introducing new information
· Essay is well presented, with correct spelling, grammar, and well-constructed sentence and paragraph structure and word count (+ / – 10%).
· Essay is supported with no fewer than 15 different sources from the scholarly literature.
· Referencing as per APA Style 6th Edition in text and in reference list.
· Separate page for reference list.
TOTAL MARKS [ weighted at 50%] /100
3980NRS Functioning Effectively in Health Organisations: Assessment Item 2 – Essay 1