Transnational Legal Practice I
Drover and Sporting’s Licensing Agreement
You are a first-year associate at the law firm Shewer & Smith, LLP, which represents Drover Corporation. The managing partner has asked you to prepare a memo that
includes draft language for the licensing of the “Drover SST” trademark and the SST “know how” to Sporting Stars, Inc. for the following provisions:
(2) Exclusivity and territory
(3) Payment: price and terms
In addition to the draft provisions, the client memo should discuss why you chose particular provisions and draw on the background facts and the relevant law to
support your draft language.
Please be sure to read the background facts in providing your answer.
Instructions for Writing Assignments
1. These instructions are meant to standardize writing assignments and put everyone on equal footing. Any attempt to create an unfair advantage by failing to
follow the formatting requirements will result in an automatic deduction of two points on your writing assignment.
2. Unless otherwise instructed, each writing assignment must be between 1.5 and 2 pages properly formatted. This means that:
a. Assignments must be double-spaced, using Times New Roman and a 12-point font.
b. Assignments must contain one-inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right).
c. You may not leave out important connecting words with the intention of saving space.
3. Please place your name, the title of the assignment and the date in the top right-hand corner of the first page, and page numbers in the bottom right-hand
corner of each page. You must also have a proper memorandum heading, including To, From, Date, and Re: lines.
4. Each writing assignment must be turned in to your teaching assistants at the beginning of class and submitted on the TLP I TWEN site before class begins.
Failure to properly submit either copy according to these rules will result in an automatic deduction of one point.
5. Each writing assignment will be graded on a scale of 0 (lowest) to 10 (highest). You will be graded based on the following criteria:
a. How well you understood legal doctrines assigned; and
b. The organization and clarity of your writing.
6. You must complete the assignment independent of any classmates. However, you may ask any of the teaching assistants for help if you are having trouble.