Advanced Microeconomic Theory
Choose one of the following essay titles. Your assignment is to write an argumentative
essay that answers the question and displays some of your knowledge of the relevant course
material. In your nal exam you will have about an hour to write an essay, so that should
give you an idea of how much to write; aim for about 750-1000 words. You can write more if
you want. Citation of articles you have read is allowed but not required, but you don’t have
to do a full citation or bibliography; an author and year is ne, e.g. Campbell (2012) shows
that…”. Do NOT cite the lecture notes or the textbook; you can consider those `common
knowledge’ that doesn’t need a citation.
Email me or come to o ce hours to discuss ideas for your essay or to get help if you’re
struggling. A rough draft is due in class on October 29th (handwritten or typed is ne).
You can submit your rough draft by emailbefore the 29th if you like, to give me more time
to work on my feedback. I will give you feedback either in person on the 29th (times to be
arranged) or by email by November 1st at the latest. The nal version is due in class on
November 5th (again handwritten or typed both ne).
1. How should we judge whether or not a game theoretic solution concept is `good’ ?
2. A solution concept is only as good as the speci cation of the game.” Discuss in relation
to Nash equilibrium.
3. How similar is the concept of a `strategy’ in game theory to the way a person actually
plays a game?
4. Musicians sometimes release albums as free downloads. Can this be a signal of quality?
5. In a bargaining game, who eats most of the pie and when?
6. Can there be `unreasonable’ beliefs in a Bayesian game?