Informative Speech Outline
Title of Speech: The history of New England Patriots
General Purpose: To inform the audience on the history of the team and organization.
Specific Purpose: Central Idea/Thesis Statement: To let the audience know some interesting things about the Patriots. To also let the audience know that it’s not only a football team but also a well-established organization.
I. Attention Material
A. Good afternoon everyone, how many of you like football?
Do any of you actually know the background history of your favorite team or any team in pro football for that matter?
II. Orienting Material – gives listeners the information about the history of the Patriots and the organization’s accomplishments.
A. Tie to the Audience. Everyone has at least one favorite from a variety of sports. My favorite football team is the New England Patriots. The thing I notice is that most of these people don’t know the team’s history of how they
came about, their first coach or anything like that. They just know present history of the team.
B. Establish credibility. I want to reach out to everyone to let them know that even though most of that stuff is not relevant to the game, the history of almost every team has an interesting story.
C. Central idea/thesis statement. New England Patriots have a very defined and vivid history.
D. Preview the body (main points) of the speech. First I am going to go over how the Patriots got their start. Then I am going to inform you on their evolution into the team they are today. Lastly I will talk about the organization
and their accomplishments.
(Transition: Let’s now focus our attention on the roots of the New England Patriots.)
I. Main Point 1: Before they were the New England Patriots, They were the Boston Patriots.
A. It all started in November 1959 the AFL arrived in New England and a businessman Billy Sullivan Jr. was awarded the final franchise in the AFL. (Pro Football Hall of Fame, 2012)
1. The first order of business was to give the franchise a name. They decided on a public contest and through the entries of 74 fans the winning name was the Boston Patriots. (Patriot Place, 2010)
2. Shortly after the name was chosen, Boston Globe artist Phil Bissell drew a cartoon of a Minuteman preparing to snap a football. Sullivan, the owner at the time, liked it so much he selected “Pat Patriot” as the
team logo. (Patriot Place, 2010) They decided to use Boston University Field which was the former home of the Boston Braves as the team’s home field. (Patriot Place, 2010)
3. From 1960-1970 the Boston Patriots played decent football and appeared in an AFL title match i.e. Super bowl despite all the stadium changes. They went through four different stadium changes from Boston
University Field to Harvard Stadium to Fenway Park and Boston College Alumni Stadium. (Patriot Place, 2010) They finally selected the last and final home of Foxborough at Schaefer Stadium. (Patriot Place, 2010)
(Transition: The Patriots went through some rough patches as they were starting the team from stadium choice to player performance, but that will soon change in the coming years.)
II. Main Point 2: The Patriots decided to go through some changes which turned out to be for the better.
A. In 1971, the team name was changed to the New England Patriots. (Patriot Place, 2010) Through the 70s the team was regarded as having some of the most outstanding players. (Patriot Place, 2010)
1. Through the 80s the team appeared in another super bowl, the name of the stadium was changed, and they came under new ownership. Victor Kiam the CEO of Remington Products Inc. purchased the team
from the Sullivan Family. (Patriot Place, 2010) The stadium was also purchased by Robert Kraft out of bankruptcy court. (Patriot Place, 2010)
B. In 1992 the New England Patriots underwent another ownership change this time to James B. Orthwein and he named Bill Parcells as the new head coach. In addition he changed the team logo and its primary color from red
C. Then in 1994 the ownership changed for the last time to Robert Kraft. When he gained ownership he promised the fans a super bowl championship and he delivered. (Patriot Place, 2010) With new head coach Bill Belichick
and breakout QB Tom Brady they accomplished 3 super bowls wins in 2001, 2003, and 2004 granting them title of a dynasty like teams before them.
(Transition: Since I have given you the roots of the New England Patriots and their evolutionary success. I would like to talk about the organization itself.)
III. Main Point 3: Though the New England Patriots football team great things the same can be said for the organization.
A. the New England Patriots Organization, headed by Robert Kraft, has accomplished many things by contributing to their community and society.
1. The New England Patriots have various outreach programs. They celebrate and promote volunteerism. They have a different volunteer focus every week through December. (Patriots.com, 2012)
2. The Patriots also give donations to non-profit organizations, accept donations for their charitable foundation, and donate lightly used football gear to low and moderate income families. (Patriots.com, 2012)
B. The New England Patriots also have a variety of charitable events and programs
1. They have a the Blood Drive, Read Between the Lines where players got to schools and promote reading, The Patriots Women Association started by the late Myra Kraft and many others. (Patriots.com, 2012)
2. The organization events are the Children’s Holiday Party where they entertain children with a variety of games and autographs from players and cheerleaders, Gifts from the Gridiron where the team provides an
evening of fun for children in need by acting as their personal shoppers to select gifts for them, and Special Olympics of Massachusetts flag football and cheering state games. (Patriots.com, 2012)
C. Due to these accomplishments Robert Kraft is going to be the first recipient of NFL Players Association Georgetown Lombardi Award for his work in cancer research and contribution to his community. (Karen Mallet,
(Transition: I’d like to wrap up the speech.)
A. Signal of end: In conclusion the Patriots are an outstanding team and even better organization
1. Summarize main points: I have shared with you all the background of the team, their rise to success, and the organization’s contributions.
2. II. Clincher/Tie to audience- The New England Patriots in general
The Patriots are an exceptional football team and have been called one of the best organizations in the NFL. The Patriots are one key marketing tool to the athletics programs that they support, and they create the community
patriotism. With a name like Patriots you have to live up to your name. That is what the Patriots do exceptionally well on and off the field.