Principles of Classical and Operant Conditioning
The purpose of this paper is to allow you the opportunity to apply the problem-solving processes by using the methods of learning to change the behavior of another person (the subject). Your assignment is to pick the habit of your roommate, friend, or relative to deisgn two methods of getting rid of this habit.
(1) Using the classical conditioning method, discovered by Pavlov, in which a neutral stimulus eventually becomes associated with a reflex response.
(2) using the operant conditioning method, refined by B.F. Skinner, in which the probability of a response is affected by its consequences.
Your paper should have the following four sections:
(1) A description of the habit to be changed, plus an introduction to the subject (i.e. roommate, friend, relative) which assists the reader in understanding your designs.
(2) A description of the classical conditioning method. be sure to describe (and label) in your situation the conditioned and unconditioned stimuli (CS and UCS) and the conditioned and unconditioned responses (CR and UCR)
(3) A description of the operant conditioning method. be sure to describe whether you are using punishment to decrease the frequency of the behavior or whether you are increasing the frequency of the behavior by employing positive or negative reinforcement.
(4) a description of the essential differences and similarities between operant and classical conditioning methods (present no less than three)